Want to know how to add a timer on Google Forms? With Google forms, we can only create a form but to add the timer function you need the help of addons.
Using Google Forms Add-ons you can extend Google Forms to help construct new Surveys, establish connectivity to third-party systems, and integrate forms data with other Google applications like Google Sheets.
In this post, I’ll help you to create an Online Exam with the timer function that can be clubbed easily to Google Forms. Here we are going to make use of the Extended Forms Addon.
Extended Forms is the best alternative to the already existing Timer Addons like Form Timer and Quilgo. Extended Forms has an easy-to-use interface and offers a countdown timer with a 1-click integration.
Extended Forms is the best one-stop solution for creating a timed test on google forms, you can create any type of form and not limited to Employee Feedback, Event Planning, Surveys, Quizzes, Student Feedback Form, Parents Feedback Form, and much much more…
With Extended Forms, you turn your ordinary google form into an exciting online test and collect valuable data from the responders.
Also Read, How to Create a Survey in WordPress?
Here’s How to add a Timer on Google Forms with Extended Forms Addon
- Goto Extended Forms in G Suite Marketplace.
- Sign-in with your preferred Google Account and Hit the Install Button.
- Once installed navigate to the Google Forms
- Select any of the pre-configured forms from the Google form’s Template Gallery or create a new blank form and customize it as per your needs.
- If you have installed the Extended Forms Addon correctly, then you must see the Extended Forms in the Addons Menu.
- Click on the Extended Forms Addon > Configure.
- The Extended Forms Settings Box Appears on the Bottom Right of the Browser.
- You can configure most of the settings in the newly opened Settings Box, but to get the full view of the Extended Forms Settings hit the View Responses button shown in the above image to navigate to the Extended Forms Website.
- You are taken to a New Collected Responses, since you don’t have any responses as of yet we can view them later. Now, Hit the 3 dots at the Top-Right Corner and Select Forms Settings.
- You can set the permissions as Public – to give access to all and Invite Only– where only the user with the desired link can access the form.
- Set the Time Limit, of how long you want the timer to operate and the form to be active, after which the form can’t be edited and the results will be captured. This is how to set a time limit in the google form quiz.
- Restrict the number of attempts one can have with Restrict Attempts, each user will be provided ‘n’ number of attempts as required.
- Enable Auto-Submit Function that auto-submits form after the Timer Ends. If you have any required fields on the Google Form, then the form will not auto-submit after the timer ends.
- You can change the Form Navigation Menus Background Color to any desired RGB values.
- Also, You can change the Body Background Color to any desired RGB values. Hit the Save Button, after making the required changes.
Don’t forget to hit the Save Button to Save the made changes.
In the current Extended Form shown above, there are some icons that have the following use:
#1 Accept Response
The Accept Response toggle button is used to turn ON/OFF the Extended Forms ability to accept the response. When turned off the Form will be become de-active and will no longer accept the response.
#2 Send Invitation
You can send an invitation to those who will give the test/take the survey.
#3 Preview Form
It provides you with a live preview of the newly created Extended Form
#4 Share Form Link
Clicking on it will automatically copy the form link and you can send it to any of the wilful responders or have it as a hyperlink or use it as a button.
#5 Export CSV
It allows you to Export and Downloads your form and its responses in a .CSV format. This feature is not for Free use as of now, to use this feature you need to be on a Subscription Plan.
#6 Google Classroom
It allows you to sync Google Classroom and its services with the Extended Forms.
#7 Visit Google Form
Clicking on it will open up the Google Form for which you have configured the Extended Form functions on a new tab.
#8 Form Settings
It Opens up the Form Settings tab with various form settings as seen previously.
#9 Transfer Ownership
With this function, you can Transfer the Extended Form Ownership from you to any other person who has access to Extended Forms and has installed the addon and they can share their Extended Form Token.
You can find your Token in Extended Forms > Dashboard > Settings > Token.
Below is the final Output where we add a timer on Google Forms and create an Employee Feedback Form using the Extended Forms Addon:
This is the Pre-Test information displayed to the user specifying the Name of the Test, Name of the Responder, Time Limit of the Test, and the Get Started Button to begin the online test.
This image shows the Extended Forms in action with a Clock Timer above the form notifying the time left for completing the form and There’s a timer even on the Title Text of the Currently used Tab.
This image shows what happens after submitting the form. The responder is acknowledged with a Thank You message denoting the response has been recorded.
Here you can see the Recorded Responses from the Form Responders with their emails, time last attended, time is taken to complete the test/form, see the Permissions given to that test/form, and the Time Limit of the Form/Test.
So, this is how you add a timer for google forms and create Online Exams and Tests. So, do download the Extended Forms Addon and create exciting google forms/online exams and share your experience in the comment box below.